Want to give your garden a new vibe and, at the same time, take it to the next level? How about adding a garden fountain feature! If your garden is currently missing a fountain, then you must know that no garden is completed without its own water feature. If you are looking to add the perfect garden fountain, you’ve come to the right place because we’ll be telling you about types of garden fountains.
Adding a fountain could be the next step in the right direction for your garden; though it may sound like a lot of work, you are probably right; but that shouldn’t stop you from getting a garden fountain which can bring many benefits, including a peaceful providing landscape; but that also depends on the type of garden fountain you specifically choose.
With many different types of garden fountains, you need to consider things to choose according to your needs or your garden’s, for that matter. Now that you know how a garden fountain can positively impact your garden continue reading and learn about the types of garden fountains.
Types of Garden Fountains FAQ’s
Why add a fountain to your garden?
Outdoor fountains are designed to be incorporated into your landscaping. A fountain can be a unique accent as part of your outdoor décor or even the centerpiece of your entire garden.
Your garden, patio, or the poolside area will benefit from the installation of an outdoor fountain. In addition to their calming, tranquil effects, fountains provide beautiful accents and can even serve as an elaborate focal point for your space.
What are the features of a garden fountain?
The basic functionality of all types of fountains is the same. Look for different features that suit your needs.
- Some types of fountains are sold with everything you need to get started. Other models require the purchase of a pump to get the water flowing.
- Adjustable flow control allows you to alter the pump’s speed, which can affect both the sound and appearance of your fountain.
- Some fountains incorporate lighting, enhancing their visual appeal, creating unique effects, and providing additional illumination to the area.
- Units that feature a built-in clock or thermostat offer increased functionality and usefulness.
- Some models use solar power, but most fountains require an electrical connection to keep the pump operating.
What are fountains made of?
They can be constructed from several synthetic and natural materials. Each offers a unique look, and many fountains involve more than one type of material.
- Rock, slate, and stone fountains can be heavy; they are also very durable.
- Metals, such as copper or brassage and develop a finish that adds character over time.
- Synthetics such as acrylic can resemble natural materials such as stone or metal but will maintain their appearance and are much easier to move. Models made of synthetic material often are a lot cheaper.
- Bamboo fountains provide tranquility and serenity with the touch of natural material.
Where to put your fountain?
The main features you need to consider to find the right spot for your garden fountain are its size and shape; a balance between the size and shape with the style of your garden will lead you to the perfect spot. Ask yourself, would you use your garden fountain as an accent or as the focal point in your garden.
Accent: Scale it slightly taller than adjacent plants to make it visible from other points in the patio and keep it away from loud mechanical noise such as air conditioners. This will help its soothing sounds aren’t overpowered.
Centerpiece: Imagine placing an A 6-foot-tall fountain intersecting pathways in a formal design that divides the lawn into quadrants. Hard to miss, right!
Types of Garden Fountains?
Spitter fountains: Most of the time, these feature a sculpture with built-in piping that transports water from the source (a pond or pool) to a small opening or series of openings where a concentrated stream of water is expelled.
Birdbath fountains: These keep water circulating to help maintain a fresh supply for the feathered friends in your garden.
Flowerbed fountains: can be installed in both above and in-ground configurations.
Cistern fountains: These allow you to house fish, plants, and other aquatic life.
Outdoor wall fountains: These are installed along an external wall to achieve a truly bold statement.
Tiered fountains: These tiered fountains are often seen in Mediterranean countries. They are installed in the courtyards and plazas. The design of a tiered fountain can be simple or complex, like carvings depicting people, animals, and others.
Disappearing fountain: Also known as a pond-less fountain. The water reservoir of this type is hidden beneath the ground. This feature looks good when it is positioned close to a patio or path.
Japanese fountain: Every Japanese garden has a water fountain. It symbolizes spiritual and physical cleansing, and therefore, they are located at the entrance of a Japanese temple or home. Japanese fountains typically have simple designs, with the focus on the water rather than the basin.
Self-contained fountains: These are affordable and can be installed quite easily. They contain all the working parts, including the plumbing and pump required to function. “Self-contained” can also refer to fountains with their own water reservoir and therefore don’t need to be placed in a pond or pool.
Other things to know about garden fountains
- Fountains keep water in constant motion, helping prevent your garden from becoming a breeding ground for mosquitoes.
- For an energy-efficient, cost-effective solution, consider a solar-powered fountain that won’t add to your utility bills.
- Floating fountains can be placed in a pool or pond on special occasions for an extra touch of elegance.
- Foggers can be used to generate a misty appearance around your pond for a unique effect.
- Make your own outdoor fountain using a waterproof container or barrel, a pump, and a fountainhead.
- Water from a garden hose is fine for outdoor gardens.
Buy Garden Fountains
This faux stone floor fountain is a wonderful way to bring nature into your home. The rustic design has two tiers where the water cascades through three small spouts in each bowl ending in the basin below, creating a lovely, peaceful sound. Two halogen bulbs dramatically light the fountain at night. Crafted from polyresin, the design is extremely lightweight and easy to position before filling it.
- 35″ high x 15″ wide x 16 1/2″ deep. Weighs 26 lbs.
- Stone finish fountain with light.
- Three tiers of water bowls create a soothing, relaxing sound.
- Faux rustic stone finish. Cast resin construction. Lightweight and easy to move.
- Plug-in fountain. Comes with a water pump and a 6-foot cord.
This fountain provides a modern element into your home that embraces the virtues of nature is easy with this contemporary fountain. The design celebrates the cosmopolitan décor while the relaxing, gentle waterfalls help bring in a natural element. The softly lit bowls add to the luxurious feel and look.
- 39 1/2″ high x 16 1/2″ wide x 18″ deep. Holds 5 to 6 gallons. Weighs 32 lbs.
- Modern Sphere Zen fountain with built-in light
- Faux stone finish. Lightweight resin construction
- Easy to move and position
- Plug-in fountain design. Comes with a water pump, LED lights, and a 6-foot long cord.
The beautiful design of this outdoor fountain is inspired by the gorgeous gardens of France and the soothing sounds of flowing water. This fountain is the perfect water feature for any garden, yard, or patio.
The fountain is made from strong glass fiber reinforced concrete (GFRC) to withstand most weather conditions.
- 2-tier water fountain
- Durable design
- Includes submersible pump
- Cascading water sounds
Give your garden a beautiful, classic style with the traditional English style of this three-tier floor fountain. The design is handsomely structured with an arched back and a tiled cement look. A diamond-shaped medallion with a floral motif is home to a bronze finish spigot that releases water into the tiered basins below. A lightweight resin construction makes it easy to position this fountain against the wall before filling it with water.
- 3 tier traditional wall fountain
- Cement stone finish.
- Lightweight resin construction.
- Bronze finish spigot.
- Includes pump and 5-foot long cord, Fast, easy set-up
The outdoor fountain is made from top-quality natural slate for long-lasting beauty, strength, and stability; Classic design adds style to any space with its elegant presence. The soothing water sounds create a gorgeous waterfall centerpiece. Enjoy the relaxation and tranquility this decorative piece offers on the deck, lawn, or landscape.
- Beautiful and durable slate design
- Soothing water sounds
- Easy setup
- Perfect landscape size